This week was a pretty good week of shopping deals in the Moore house. Most weeks, I get the Rite Aid ad on Monday and the rest of the ads arrive on Wednesday or Thursday—Stater Bros., Vallarta, and Albertson’s.
I’ve started a new system this week. I go through each ad and enter all the deals I’m interested in on an excel spreadsheet (a separate sheet for each store). I write down the item, specifying the size in its own column. There’s a separate column for the deal listed and another column labeled coupon. That makes it easy to see if I should have a coupon to match it up with. I can just fold the coupons inside the sheet and carry one thing around the store. It makes for a little more work on the front end, but it has helped me stick to my list better. It’s also nice to not have to carry around the ad.
Tuesday I headed to Rite Aid where I purchased the above. The toothpaste was $2.69 and will be free once I enter it online for a full $2.69 rebate! The deodorants (normally $3.49 a piece) were 99 cents each, and the Almay makeup was BOGO—16.00 for what would normally cost $32.00. [I was way more excited about that than Jon.] I also grabbed a Christmas tree and some lights which weren’t bad, but it boosted my total to “not that impressive.” :)
Wednesday, I went through all the other ads. Jon and I are working on a budget now, trying to get our grocery spending down to $150 a month, if not less. We went on a big shopping trip for the entire month a few weeks ago and spent right around $100 on that. There were some great deals this week, and most of the food we purchased won’t get used until December anyways.
Friday we headed down to Lancaster and stopped by Albertson’s. I was really excited about this trip. I was expecting to spend $36.31, but after adding a pie pan,—needed to bake a pie for our Pie & Praise Service on Sunday—some dish soap, flour, and oil, the new total was $53.36.
But check out what I got!
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup: $.69 each = $1.38
- Two 12 oz. bags Nestle chocolate chips: $1.29 each, coupon for $1.00 off 2 = $1.58
- 32 oz. Kraft Real Mayonnaise: $2.99 = $2.99
- Two 4 oz. Glade Candles: $3.00 each, coupon for $1.50 off 2 = $4.50
- Four 12 packs soda (Coke, Pepsi, 7Up, Cherry Coke): normally between $6.50—7.50 each, in-ad coupon 4 for $9.00 = $9.00 (saving $7.00 total)
- Two 8 oz bags Kraft shredded cheese: $1.77 each, coupon for $1.00 off 2 = $2.54
- Stouffer’s Lasagna entrée (enough for both Jon & myself): $1.99 in ad, but I was charged $3.99 [grr . . . ]
- 10 for $10.00 – (one of my favorite Albertson’s deals!)
- Four 2 liter sodas (Pepsi, 7Up, Sierra Mist): $1.00 each = $4.00
- 6 Birds Eye SteamFresh veggies: $1.00 each, 2 coupons for $1.00 off 3 = $4.00
- PLUS the pie plate, dish soap, flour and oil.
[I’ll be honest, I’m still working through being overcharged $2.00 for the lasagna.]
Store Coupon Savings: $8.00
Manufacturer Coupon Savings: $5.00
Preferred Savings (store card): $38.46
Total Savings: $51.46
Total with tax = $53.36